Monday, July 27, 2009

ORAMM

( photo credit Anna Caton )
The off road Assault on Mt Mitchell 09 is in the books. A lot of good lessons and training accomplished. 64 miles and 11, 000 feet of climbing done, I learned a lot about myself and that I can push hard to finish. My finish time was 9 hours and 28 minutes. Not my predicted time, but 2 flats tires and a few cramps induced by 92 degree temps added to my time. I drank so much fluid, 6 -100oz camel back bladders of water, 6 - 20 0z heed’s, and 4 cokes. But the heat was hard and took its toll. I am thrilled to get the miles, hours and climbing in, I think its perfect training for my next race, Leadville. So excited and ready to go.

Currently the Epic is being re braked (lost them at ORAMM) and boxed up to make the journey out west to Colorado at CYCLES de ORO. So the rest of the training is going to be tooling around on my road bike.

My brakes, two tires were not the only casualties of the race. My mountain bike shoes bit the dust. The soles wore away on the rocky hike a bike sections of the race. New choices being considered. Kind of scared I will be rocking new un tried shoes on race day in Leadville, but its really the only option.


No comments:

Post a Comment